Best Dry Dog Food
Welcoming your furry cuddly pet into your family with showers of love does not only involve buying a comfortable dog house and playing with it.
You also need to focus on getting the best wholesome food for your dog.
Have you laid your thoughts on that yet?
If you are thinking about feeding your own food to your pet, then maybe you should revisit this idea once more. You should not surrender to the silent and innocent requests of your pets by giving it a share of your food. That’s because certain foods don’t even fulfill their daily dietary needs, no matter how tasty they seem.
It’s not going to be easy to stay firm considering the bond you share, but it’s mandatory to make the right choice when it comes to the meal of your dog.
And the greatest advantage of dry dog food is that it doesn’t get spoiled if it is left in the dog feeding bowl the entire day. So even if you desire to take a short trip from your house you can store the dry food for the whole day.
But which brand of dry dog food will be the most suitable for your pet?
Top 12 Dry Dog Foods for Your Pet:
Well, here are the best ones for you to pick from.
[wpsm_comparison_table id="1" class=""]
According to some experts, dogs are known to possess a somewhat similar DNA to that of the wolves and thus it should not be a wonder why their taste buds crave for something out of the wild. Years of domestication have turned dogs into a friendly creature, but wolves still love to chase their prey!
According to the makers of this brand, your dog will experience a concoction of wild flavors exploding in its mouth. Though no one can verify this except your dog, still most of the dog owners regard this is the best dry dog food. Made with the nutritious combination of pea and sweet potato it enhances its wild meaty flavor by garnishing it with roasted lamb or duck meat. Even if you let go of the taste factor, then there are still a few reasons to take place in your dog’s feeding plate. Real vegetables and fruits are added keeping in mind the fussy furry eaters.
Incorporating this into their meal is a way too easy task, because they will be tempted by its taste, and thus the job of feeding them nutritious food is accomplished.
- No added grains and preservatives.
- Essential fatty acids present in the food keep the hair coat shiny and healthy.
- The rich taste of smoked meat along with the goodness of essential amino acids.
- Real fruits and vegetables keep the digestion tract free from ailments.
- Available in 6 variant protein sources and flavors to choose from.
- Antioxidants present in this superfood will promote the overall wellbeing of your dog.
- Different dry food formulas made for puppies and adults
- The altered formula found to cause various ailments like diarrhea and skin rashes.
Merrick grain free dry dog food
This meat formula is cooked especially for dogs suffering from poultry allergies. Poultry allergies are quite common when it comes to dogs. Another allergy dogs are noticed to face is gluten, which is quite usual for humans as well. And thus you can imagine the hype of the dog foods made without the slightest implementation of any kind of grains. Gluten tempers with the digestive system thereby slowing down the metabolism, which is not going to occur if you let your dogs extract the goodness of this food residing in the list of best dry dog food 2018. Made with high-quality ingredients collected from farmers, the prime ingredients of this recipe are beef and sweet potato. The addition of sweet potato implies the fact that the protein and fat level of your dog is balanced.
Consisting of 70% meat, this dry food will aid in the formation of lean muscles thereby strengthening their bones as well. Another ingredient which prohibits the wear and tear of joints is glucosamine. Not to forget, you can notice your dog sporting glossy coat with nominal or no hair loss, all thanks to the essential fatty acids.
- no grain formula aiding in healthy metabolic system
- savory recipe with the fusion of sweet potato and deboned beef
- Apt for dogs sensitive towards chicken.
- Tidbits of lamb and peas are also added to enhance the taste as well as the goodness.
- Can suit the dietary preferences of all breeds of dogs.
- Consistent nutrient chondroitin assists in keeping the hip bones sturdy and upright.
- Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids work their way to make the coat and skin free from rashes.
- The high protein content of this food may give rise to kidney issues.
- May cause digestive disorders.
Blue Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Adult
If your dog does not pose any allergic threats from poultry then this is the best dry dog food you can opt for being a pet parent. Unlike the former ones, the primary ingredient of this one is pure deboned chicken. The formula is fabricated considering the palette of the inner wolves concealed within dogs. The high-protein content of this dry food will satiate the protein requirements of your pet provided it is incorporated in their everyday meal. Alike the best dry dog foods, this one also doesn’t include grains of any variant into making the nutrient-rich kibbles.
The meaty fragrance of this will tempt your dog to finish their meals quickly without putting you through any hassles. And the best thing is dogs that aren’t so fond of eating veggies and fruits will get the best of it thanks to this product. This product comes along a variety of unusual recipes to ensure that your pets also get to devour variant flavorful nutrient-rich foods. The kibbles are manufactured at a very low temperature to guarantee that it doesn’t get spoiled so you can buy large supplies beforehand as well.
- Enriched with proteins and healthy carbohydrates.
- Fruits and veggies laden with vitamins and minerals to rejuvenate their everyday activities.
- Omega 6 fatty acids thrive to make their hair shiny
- DHA one of the constituents aid in the cognitive development of your pup
- Glucosamine, as well as Chondroitin, works together to strengthen the hip joints of giant breeds.
- No added preservatives or poultry by-product meal.
- Delicious aroma pleases even the picky pets.
- Some of the flavors are noticed to contain lead.
- May cause bowel disorders and breakouts on the skin.
Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food
If your dog is a bit chubby and not to keen to run around all day then this is the best dry dog food 2018. Hill has cooked up the perfect blend of dry dog food for the ones suffering from minor health issues like obesity or is neutered. Most female dogs when neutered starts to show up common health problems like fatigue, weight gain and loss of energy. You can call his food as a diet food as it ensures weight loss. The mouth watery chicken flavor will also force your dog to lick up every remaining kibble on the feeding bowl, thereby assisting in its weight loss. That’s a fun way to lose weight without compromising the nutritional requirements of your friend.
According to a pet survey, more than 70% of the dogs consuming it every day for a period of 10 or more days displayed a considerable weight loss.
If you think that weight loss implies your pet would be all skin and bones, then your perception is wrong. Chicken, the only meat to supply tons of goodness along with building lean muscles is present in this dry dog food. Nothing can be better than seeing your pet getting back on its health along with satiating all the dietary requirements. The results would be more prominent if you stock water at all times in its reach because hydration enhances the weight loss effects.
- Probiotic fiber ensures that the goodness of the food totally gets absorbed into the system.
- Assists in the weight loss process
- Rich protein sourced from chicken helps in the formation of lean muscles.
- Speeds up the digestion process
- No artificial flavors and colors
- Vitamin C and E makes the immunity system stronger.
- Smells unpleasant
- Frequent defecation noticed in some breeds.
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food
If your furry companion is just a little pup of few months old, then feeding this nutritious dry food, which resides at the list of best dry dog food review, will ensure proper development from the very beginning. Hill science believes giant breed dogs require some special dietary requirements to support their heavy body, and thus they manufacture separate food formulas for every life cycle-puppy, adult and young adult. If you wish to bestow a healthy upbringing to the newest four-pawed member of your family, then incorporating this into their meal would be a wise decision.
Often one tends to overlook the fact that a puppy of a giant breed requires additive support from the day one only, which if not provided will cause bone issues during the later years. Get the best for him/her to ensure that you feel a dash of his energy throughout his lifetime. Giant breed dogs often suffer from joint pains due to the fact that their bones, if not built strongly, are unable to bear the burden of their heavy body. Thus they can’t jump and play like the used to did in their puppy cycle thereby getting more depressed and aggressive.
- Delicious chicken meal flavor to satiate the protein requirements.
- Apt for feeding puppies less than a year old, weighing equals to or less than 55 lbs.
- Consisting of an appropriate amount of puppy to shape and form the bones from the tender age.
- Antioxidants rich with vitamin A and C are officially found to strengthen the immunity system of puppies.
- Calcium levels inhibit the formation of unusual bone growth, very much common in large breed dogs.
- Presence of natural sources of chondroitin and glucosamine helps in the formation of healthy cartilages.
- Largely sized kibbles inappropriate for puppies.
- Noticed to cause diarrhea.
Blue Wilderness High Protein Grain Free
Another best dry dog food featuring in this list from the blue wilderness, its time you should dig a little deeper about its history. Once upon a time somewhere in the US, there was an Airedale breed that was like the source of light to his family members. Once he was gripped by a deadly disease resulting from food poisoning. His came as the darkest nightmare to his family and they were shattered. Upon coping up with the grief, they realized that they should bring a positive change in the dog food industry, and thus they joined hands and got started. The resultant is something many pet parents swear by, as it brings the best of their sweethearts. Now you must be wondering why the name Blue? The precious lovable Riverdale dog was named ‘Blue’ that’s why.
Blue’s family was determined to make use of the high-quality natural ingredients along with real meat, not just the flavor to fulfill the protein requirements of a pet’s body. The family of blue is branded as the Blue Buffalo Company, who knew that feeding fruits and veggies to doggies would be brutally tedious. Thus they cooked up a unique recipe consisting of tidbits of chicken kibbles along with antioxidant-laden Lifesource Bits.
- Contains no wheat
- Contains rich protein sources like chicken, duck, and salmon.
- Suitable for both small and large breeds of dogs during all their life stages.
- Exotic delicious flavors like quail, rabbit, and bison, just to switch your pet’s taste buds.
- Naturally occurring DHA aids in the cognitive development from the young age.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin ease the mobility of large breeds.
- Real fruits and veggies provide antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals necessary for the ongoing life processes.
- Changed formula making dogs sick.
Grain Free Natural
Again a comeback by Blue Buffalo, this product name implicates the fact that it is absolutely grain free to avoid bloating caused by gluten. This formula is produced keeping in mind the appetite and the dietary requirements of adult dogs. This one would completely suit the hunger needs of the breeds suffering from food allergies caused by chicken since this contains a delicious blend of sweet potatoes and turkey meat. Turkey meat, one of the finest protein sources is considered to be the rare primary ingredient in case of dry dog foods. Deboned turkey would also provide the body the appropriate amount of protein mandatory to promote the well-being. Pumpkin, one of the ingredients is also added to pace up and execute the digestion process smoothly. Consist of healthier carbohydrate sources to give your dog his daily dosage of energy packet. The company has stated that the packaging of this variant of dry dog food may vary and thus you don’t need to worry about getting a different packet, but bearing the brand name. Loaded with the nutrient-rich veggies and foods, this dog food will be gentle on your pet’s tummy along with making him healthier and stronger.
- Savory recipe of single-sourced protein turkey and nutritious vegetables like sweet potato and pumpkin.
- Pumpkin assists majorly in the metabolism process
- Essential carbohydrates to ensure that your dog retains its wholesome energy.
- Appropriate levels of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids brighten up the hair coat thereby keeping the skin free from rashes.
- Lifesource bits loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants build a resilient immune system.
- Contain no traces of wheat, chicken, soy, and eggs.
- Suitable for the ones allergic towards poultry meat.
- Chances of allergic skin reaction.
wellness core natural grain free dry dog food
It should not be a wonder why wellness had ranked in the best dry dog food in 2018, simply because its wild meaty protein content recipes brings a wide smile across your pet’s face during mealtime. If you are a pet parent you must be aware of the fact that all wild animals including the dog, a descendant of wolves simply adores flavorful meat. Maybe with the alteration in climate and civilization, their wildness has sublimed a bit but their love for meat still remains the same. Wellness claims to add 80 % more protein-rich meat than similar other brands, which implies a greater amount of protein intake for your furry friend.
This dry dog food suits the needs of non-pregnant adult dogs from the age of 1 year. But they have also introduced special formulas to suit the requirements of puppies and pregnant dogs as well. the original and the foremost recipe introduced by them is the perfect blend of chicken and turkey, imagine the huge protein content. Contains no Trans fats, you can feed them to your pet without the fear of them getting obese. High-quality proteins and carbohydrates ensure your pet is laden with energy all day long, thus burning the calories.
- The nutrients take care of your dog’s eyes, gums and teeth
- Active biotic and fibers ensure that the digestive tract remains free from toxins.
- The essential omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids curbs diseases thereby boosting immunity.
- Essential vitamins and minerals triggers increased cell activity to instigate metabolism
- Natural fruits and veggies provide your dog with nature’s nutrition.
- Protein rich recipes made with real chicken and turkey.
- Poultry-free recipes are also available.
- The reduced fat formula may give rise to diarrhea.
Nutro wholesome essentials
Also, a protein-rich dry dog food crafted by Nutro the primary ingredient of this one is protein-rich lamb meat. No matter how old your furry champ is, Nutro is designed to suit the dietary requirements of dogs in every life cycle. Best for all breeds, the additive natural glucosamine and chondroitin makes sure that your large breed doesn’t stoop down during the later life years. According to Nutro, each ingredient is extracted from farmers and handled with care maintaining the hygiene factor. Also a recipe devoid of grains, it also doesn’t add any by-product meat meal and preservatives.
This food will act gently on your pet’s tummy simply because of the fact that it doesn’t contain ingredients which are genetically modified (GMO). Though their wet dry food is still in the process of attaining perfection, the dry dog food formula is simply considered to the best dog dry food. Pasture fed lambs grown in natural condition without the implication of any growth hormones bears a ton of omega 3 fatty acids, which along with improving health conditions keep the skin healthy. The company alerts customers about fine traces of GMO which may be found due to contamination.
- delicious recipe of meat and rice flavor
- No corn, soy protein, wheat, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
- Ingredients tacked and cooked in clean and hygienic facilities.
- Large dogs can utilize the best of naturally occurring glucosamine and chondroitin to maintain a stealthy posture.
- Enriched with essential vitamins like Vitamin C which supports the immune system thereby grasping healthy diseases.
- Pasture-fed lamb aids the building of strong lean muscles.
- Ingredients are non-GMO in nature.
- The changed formula found to cause health issues too few breeds.
CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food
This particular dry dog food has been voted to reside in the best dry dog food review list simply because it is manufactured keeping in mind the health of sensitive dogs. Dogs having a sensitive digestive tract is not a rare thing, happens all the time. So if you are the parent of a dog who suffers from stomach ailments every now and then you can consider placing this in your pooch’s feeding bowl.
CANIDAE manufactures exotic recipes so that your dog’s taste buds also go through a change. And each recipe is made simple, by using maximum 10 ingredients, because the complex the recipe the more probability that it is going to make a dog sick to its stomach. In terms of protein enrichment, the bison recipe stands at the top.
Believe it or not, the recipe is formulated using just a few ingredients namely – Fresh bison meat, Pork meal, Lamb Meal, Tapioca. Besides, it also stores the goodness of veggies like Sweet potato, Peas, Carrots, Chickpeas and healthy legumes like Lentils. The recipe has been formulated based on the ingredients dogs aren’t sensitive towards. You can even choose a different recipe like chicken, duck; lamb etc, because all these recipes are maximum 10 ingredients recipes.
- Great for sensitive dogs.
- No wheat, soy protein, and corn.
- Each diet is made with a limited number of ingredients proven to be safe for all breeds.
- Separate recipe for dogs with poultry intolerance
- Distinct recipes for puppies and adults
- Probiotic enriched kibble eases the digestion process
- Wholesome ingredients supplying omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin.
- Some breeds dislike the strong aroma of the changed formula.
BLUE Freedom Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Another wonderful product from the blue buffalo company, (remember the story about the Airedale named blue?) like the other Blue products, this one is also free from grains, glutens, artificial flavorings, and preservatives. Your pet can extract high-quality protein from the deboned chicken which is the foremost ingredient of this dry dog food diet. You must be aware of the fact that not all but few individuals suffer from grain intolerance. Now the condition is not limited to the humans, it is true for dogs as well, irrespective of breed. But why do humans or dogs repel grains? That’s because of the fact that grains contain gluten which can trigger something serious as celiac disease. Other non-alarming issues gluten is responsible for is IBS or irritable bowel syndrome.
It contains real deboned meat like chicken, beef and lamb, and not any by-product meat meals which other than enhancing flavors are of little or no use. Dry dog food usually comes in form of kibbles which are called life source bits by blue buffalo. These bits are heaved with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals so that your furry love gets all the nutrients.
- Wholesome Gluten-free food
- Contains real deboned chicken
- Food processed at a lower temperature to prevent degradation.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin ensure that the dog older in age but young at heart have no difficulty stomping around.
- Distinct recipes for dogs at different life cycles-puppy, adult and mature adult.
- Essential carbohydrates and proteins supply the energy required for everyday activities.
- Chicken meal and fish meal assists in building in lean muscles.
- Antioxidant-rich life source bits toughen the immune system.
- Contains some gluten-free grains which may be harmful to sensitive pets.
CANIDAE All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
If your family consists of multiple furry pooches then this product by CANIDAE is the best dry dog food for you. Simply because according to the brand it is best for the four-pawed bundles of love of every breed and age. If you can relate to the above-mentioned situation then you don’t have to endure the hassle of tugging and tackling multiple dog food packets, because this product is designed to suit the preferences of any dog. But if you are the pet parent of a single cutie then also you can rely on this product wholeheartedly and you don’t have to go through the process of switching food as your pet grows into an adult.
The recipe of this dry dog food is prepared by using some of the finest high-protein sources to ensure the formation of lean muscles. Wholesome nutrients are stuffed into it so that a lesser amount is enough to fill the tummy of your dog, and that implies a single packet will go a long way. After cooking the kibble prebiotics are blended into each of them to guarantee your pet a beautiful rash free skin and a healthy immune system.
- No added preservatives, corn, and soy protein.
- Nutrient-loaded formula resulting from the utilization of high-quality protein.
- Available in various meaty flavors namely fish, chicken, lamb and turkey.
- Best for households with multiple pets.
- Can suit the diet requirements of any breed of any age quite effectively.
- No added chicken by-product meal.
- Not adulterated with any preservatives and artificial flavoring agents.
- Corn and grain free dry food formula.
- Inconsistency in food quality found
- Small kibble size for giant breeds.
- Chances of digestion issues.
The Buying Guide
Unfortunately, dogs don’t have n number of food choices like humans, but thanks to the evolution of dog food industry, that quite a number of distinct varieties of dog foods have popped up in the market. You as a pet parent own the complete liberty to choose any genre of dog food provided it suits the dietary requirements of your pet completely.
Types of dog foods available:
- Dry dog food-this is considered to be the best food in terms of expenses as well as conveniences. There is the slightest chance of these getting spoiled and need not required to be kept in the refrigerator. Another pro is that since it requires a lot of chewing your dog’s dental system will be healthy.
- Wet dog food-most dogs absolutely swear by canned or moist food because of the rich taste. But the drawback is the expense; if you have multiple dogs then buying separate moist foods for separate breeds would coerce you to pull out a ton of bucks each month. Unlike dry foods, here the protein doesn’t get fragmented and flushes out of its system, without providing any benefits. Most canned foods are basically just water, which implies the insufficient amount of nutrients getting absorbed into your pet’s body.
- Semi-wet-this is not something you can put in the feeding bowl of your pet, because it contains less or no nutrients these are basically meats shaped in form of delicious treats like pizza, burger etc and contains various toxic food colorings. You can let him have it only on his birthday.
- Home cooked food- if you think commercial foods wouldn’t suit your pet’s needs completely then you can take charge of his everyday diets. But remember this, cooking and feeding your dog the home-cooked food can be expensive as well as troublesome. Before considering his diet, you can consult a veterinarian and jot down his dietary requirements.
- Raw meats– since dogs have descended from wolves their digestive system are supportive enough to ensure raw meat with bones and organs. Few dogs have the tenacity to digest raw meats because of their intestinal tract being very short. Raw foods if not properly cleaned can also get your pet sick to his stomach. So it’s better to consult a vet before providing him with raw food.
Breed specific dog foods
Have you ever lost your way strolling through the supermarket aisle featuring dog foods? Well, this happens all the time, owing to the whopping number of dog foods available. Every breed has some of its unique characteristics and thus a single dog food can’t fulfill the dietary requirements of every existent breed. It wouldn’t harm your dog obviously, but feeding your dog a bowl stuffed with food made particularly for dogs of its kind can certainly bring a positive difference in its health.
Here are a few examples worth your consideration –
For the bubbly Beagles – grain-free whole meat dry dog food.
For the cute Chihuahuas – meat meal with healthy sources of protein and carbohydrates.
For the lovable Golden Retrievers- dry food with natural sources of rich protein and glucosamine.
Benefits of buying premium dog foods
You love your furry friend and you wish for his long life almost every day! But wishing alone is not going to make that happen. As a pet parent, you are experienced to do its upbringing with tons of love and care. From feeding them tasty nutrition foods to talking him out for walks you have to be there for everything.
From day 1 you would in complete charge of its diet and thus you have to ensure that everything going into its mouth is healthy. The taste factor also holds importance because if not present your finicky pet will just choose not to eat it, they don’t have knowledge about nutritional facts like humans obviously.
Get this fact imbibed in your mind that without any such reason just for the sake of show-off a pet food can’t be termed as premium. In order to acquire the premium title, pet foods have to appear for strict tests. A premium dog food should contain high-quality meat, vegetable, and fruits, apt for even humans to start with.
The advantages of feeding your dog with a premium level dog food are:
- Intake of soluble and insoluble fibers which promote healthy digestion
- Omega fatty acids, glucosamine and chondroitin take care of the joint health.
- Special recipe formulated for pregnant and lactating dogs to satiate their dietary needs.
- Special digestion enzymes added to ease the digestion of proteins and carbohydrates.
- Specially curated recipes for large breeds and senior dogs to keep their bone structure upright.
- High-quality antioxidants ensure a healthy immunity to keep your pet free from common diseases
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and essential fish oils make the hair coat shinier and skin healthier.
- Special formula for obese dogs to check weight loss
- Animal-based proteins help the formation of lean muscles.
- Tartar buildup is prevented thus keeping the dental system healthy obtained by chewing kibbles.
(Frequently Ask Question)FAQS:
- What kind of food should you feed to your dog?
Before opting for a certain variant of food, make sure you revisit about certain parameters like breed, age, sensitivity, and activity level. But if you are keen to choose something on a general basis, then make sure to check whether it contains essential nutrients.
- Which one is better-dry food or wet food?
Obviously, dry food is the best in terms of everything from being low on the expenses to have a high shelf time. But if your dog tends to remain dehydrated then wet food will be the best for him. As for dry food, it also keeps the teeth strong and gets it rid of tartar buildup.
- Can you feed a combination of wet and dry food?
Though it is not recommended o mix both variants of food since the nutritional value gets lost.
Adopting a dog is the same as having a human baby in your family, thus you should be very careful when choosing your pet’s diet on its behalf. Since dogs need time to adjust to a particular brand to make sure that you select 1 or 2 brands by doing meaningful research and consulting your vet. After getting hold of the product make sure to give the serving instructions a good read.
If your pet gets tempted by its taste don’t give them more than the prescribed amount. Don’t ever share tasty and spicy treats with your dog to avoid the occurrence of digestion issues like gas, constipation and even diarrhea. If you feel a certain product is causing allergies, stop it immediately and consult your vet to get the recommendation for a new food product.